Carl's Weaving

My photo
This is an easy way for me to share my current work and events as I create interesting new activites.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

California Fires 1,2,3 and 4

I have designed and started weaving a series of pictures. These are based on the 2009 fires. I have been able to take pictures of the first four weavings of the series. The first four of the fire based series are pictured below.
The first picture is the start of fire in the mountains. Just a flame hear and there.





California 2009 Fire #1
This picture is woven between the red and orange of the fire burning into the blue of the sky.





Add Image

California 2009 Fire #2

Number two shows the first fires spreading onto the mountains. The sharp high flames are burning trees that will not survive. Meanwhile, the dry ground cover is starting to burn and spreading over the entire area. I remember watching the pictures on the TV as they were describing the flames and telling us about all the people that were leaving their homes and afraid that their homes would burn.




California 2009 Fire #3

Number three shows the increase of fire and the spreading of the flames as the fire rises higher on the mountains. The fire burns more steadily now with fewer sharp spikes.





California 2009 Fire #4

Number four is the peak of the fire. At this point it seems like it will never end and that everything is being destroyed. Regardless, there are some areas here and there that will survive. In fires 5, 6, 7 and 8 the flame reduces and things survive.

Section 5 is already mounted and it has been taken to the gallery. I will have to go by and take a picture soon. The last 3 pictures are finished being woven, but it will take a while for me to mount them.
I'll put the remaining pictures out as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment